Re: General Resolution: Handling of the non-free section: proposedBallot

On 2004-03-08 12:31:05 +0000 Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 05:39:53PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
I think that it may encourage improved support for non-Debian-hosted packages in general, including project-produced packages and backport projects.

And ? Is this a good thing, or a negative effect on the global amount of
non-free sfotware in general ?

A good thing. It means that more software gets packaged for debian and probably more people would use debian. I don't really care about negative effects on non-free software in general in this case. I support the Suffield drop GR to improve Debian, not to harm non-free.

This would mean, not having a relative small, and negatively viewed
non-free repository on the debian archive, but an officially recognized
proliferation of third party non-free packages we have no control on.

I want a proliferation of third-party free packages for debian. Third party non-free (like j2* packages) already exist and I doubt they would grow as quickly as free ones.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at