Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 10:23:29AM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> Honest question: Did any unecessary/obsolete package get removed from
> non-free since the beginning of this debate in november?

elfutils was removed on the request of its maintainer on 9th December.

dqs was removed on the request of its maintainer on 12th January.

prime-net was removed on the request of the QA team on 22nd January,
due to it not installing and its maintainer being MIA.

tracker was removed on the request of its maintainer on 25th February,
due tobeing superseded by mikmod.

xpostitplus was removed on the request of its maintainer on 25th February,
due to being orphaned upstream and effectively replaced by xpostit.

http://ftp-master.debian.org/removals.txt; greping for "non-free". It's a
big file.

> While you are always quick to point out that the non-free removal
> advocates should come up with a transition plan/non-free.org, I
> challenge that the keep non-free advocates should actively work on
> removing non-free packages, at least that's what your proposal was
> mainly about.

How come the keep non-free advocates seem to have to do everything?

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004