Re: General Resolution: Handling of the non-free section: proposedBallot

* Simon Law (sfllaw@debian.org) [040304 12:40]:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:22:00AM +0100, Massimo Coletti wrote:
> > Removing the non-free section will narrow the perspective of the Linux
> > world offered by Debian, and somehow limit a degree of freedom currently
> > available for Debian users.
> >
> > Cutting away non-free software may apper as a revamp of old
> > brand-protection policy used often by many software wendors (I don't
> > know if you ever heard of a software house that produces a GUI-based
> > operating systems, and some software based on it, and a package - SMS -
> > useful to distribute software, but ONLY if crafted by the same company...).
>
> 	Massimo has demonstrated why we _must_ eventually remove
> non-free from our archives.  Users actually think that non-free is a
> part of Debian GNU/Linux.  It may not be de jure, but it certainly is in
> their minds.

That's an old argument, and it's not going to be more true just
because it is repeated. Most users _can_ make the difference between
Debian and non-free. And some users would not be able to see that
non-free is not part of Debian even if it is on another server etc.

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/