Re: GR status

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:29:12 +0000, MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> said:

> On 2004-02-25 21:02:20 +0000 Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>
> wrote:

>> The way I see it, these are mutually exclusive proposals.

> Are you basing that on anything you put on
> http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_002 as "The actual text of the
> amendment"?

	Hmm. Lets see. First, including context that you elided:

>> The way I see it, these are mutually exclusive proposals. So,
>> either we get Andrews proposal, that throws out non-free from the
>> social contract, and the next release shall not have a corresponding
>> non free section;

	From the web page:
 The next release of Debian will not be accompanied by a non-free
 section; there will be no more stable releases of the non-free
 section. The Debian project will cease active support of the
 non-free section. Clause 5 of the social contract is repealed.

>>  or we get AJ's version which shall not change the
>> social contract, and reaffirm the developers intent of retaining the
>> non-free sections.
	From the web page:
 I propose that the Debian project resolve that:

 Acknowledging that some of our users continue to require the use of
 programs that don't conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines, we
 reaffirm our commitment to providing the contrib and non-free areas in
 our archive for packaged versions of such software, and to providing the
 use of our infrastructure (such as our bug-tracking system and mailing
 lists) to help with the maintenance of non-free software packages.

	Yes, I did get that from the web page. Coomon sense seems to
 indicate that we can either cease active support of the non-free
 section (editing the SC as needed), or we can reaffirm our commitment
 to non-free and continue to provide it.

> [...]
>> It did seem clear to me that the proposals were diametrically
>> opposed to each other.

> As it does to me. That is why I think it useless, too.

	I fail to see how you could arrive at that illogical
 conclusion, but hey.

	manoj
--
A disciple will master this world and the world of Death with its
devas. A disciple will gather well taught aphorisms (dhammapadas),