Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 03:38:20PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> > > How do you compromise between A and B when the the distinguishing
> > > feature is that A wants to have nothing to do with B?
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 12:10:30PM -0800, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> > The compromise is reached by drawing firm limits what around what
> > Debian is (or what and how it will remain) while drawing different
> > limits around what it can distribute.
>
> How does that work?  Seems to me that you can achieve A associates
> with B, or A does not associate with B, but neither are compromise.

You seem to be conflating "distributes" with "will remain" into a
single concept: "associates." I'm not doing this.

> The problem with the current subtitle is that it appears to extend
> to packages which it shouldn't cover.
>
> But the current subtitle was not intended as a definition of Debian as
> a whole, only the "Debian GNU/Linux Distribution".  You can see this in
> numerous places in the social contract.

I think that this interpretation is better served by text similar to
that which AJ suggested.

> > Just because Debian developers have gotten together together to work
> > on free software does mean their distribution is a totally Free
> > Software. I think this fact needs to be immediately clear in the
> > subtitle and I don't think it is in this suggested version.
>
> The problem with your "immediately clear" idea is that if it were possible
> to be "immediately clear" on this topic we wouldn't have a need for the
> social contract and dfsg.
>
> The whole point of writing the social contract, and the whole point of
> writing the dfsg, is that these concepts aren't intuitively obvious but
> need to be spelled out for people.

In the next paragraph I said: "If we have the ability to make a firm
and largely unambiguous statement and then elaborate and explain it
in the body, we should." I think "immediately clear" is a goal; it may
not be one we will achieve but it has to be one we push for.

I'm just saying that I think since the subtitle will -- for better or
for worse -- get more attention than the body text. We should be
careful in drafting it so that it's can stand on its own as well as
possible -- even if it's not perfect without the supporting body text.

> > The subtitles are the bits that get quoted all over the place --
> > like it or not. If we have the ability to make a firm and largely
> > unambiguous statement and then elaborate and explain it in the
> > body, we should.
>
> Which begs the questions: how large does the unambiguousness need to
> be, how much precision (verbosity) can we tolerate, and what flavors of
> ambiguity can we live with?

We'll have to settle for as good as we can do. My critique was that I
thought the proposed text was not there yet. :)

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill