Re: non-free and users?

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 03:19:53AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-01-25 02:14:58 +0000 Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>
> wrote:
>
> >No, I think that the philosophy of forcing people to do the Right
> >Thing
> >is evil.
>
> Small note: I think the proposed GR is closer to making the project
> not do the wrong thing. IIRC, it doesn't make the project do any extra
> tasks and it doesn't necessarily force any people to do anything.

Well, it is a compulsive GR though, which would have an effect on the
work done on non-free package by about 100 debian developers. I also
think that the main problem you will face is to define what is the right
thing, and what is the wrong thing, and i think that trying to impose
this decision on the people actually doing the job is also evil.

> If one thinks forcing people to do things is evil, then forcing
> continuation of non-free is evil in one way.

Yeah, sure sure, but please don't be hypocrit. You are trying to force
people to _not_ do things, which is much more evil than the the
hypothetical continuation of non-free distribution. Nobody is forcing
you to work on non-free packages, nobody is forcing you to download
them, in fact the default behavior is even for you to not even know
about the existence of non-free software, so i seriously don't
understand how you can honestily claim that we are forcing you to
anything.

Friendly,

Sven Luther