Re: thoughts on potential outcomes for non-free ballot

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Raul Miller wrote:
> Also, we should probably update the DFSG to indicate that they are
> "Debian's Free Software Requirements", rather than merely being
> guidelines.  This would also require updating the social contract
> and the constitution.

There was a large discussion on debian-legal dealing almost
exclusively with this issue in the context of changing the DFSG to a
document more like the OSD.[1]

Some of the specific cases mentioned are instances where the OSD has
enabled licenses like Helix's RSPL and/or Apple's APSL to be labled as
open source licenses, even though they are quite clearly non-free, and
can impose odious restrictions on users of the software.[2]

Because the OSD is a definition, instead of merely guidelines, things
that follow the letter and fail the spirit can slide by. Changing the
DFSG into a set of "Requirements", if not properly done, could
foreseeably suffer the same fate.

Don Armstrong

1: http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200301/msg00046.html
2: http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200301/msg00095.html
--
If I had a letter, sealed it in a locked vault and hid the vault
somewhere in New York. Then told you to read the letter, thats not

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu