Re: summary of software licenses in non-free

On Jan 12, 2004, at 14:08, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 08:43:11AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:

good idea.  perhaps something easily parsable like:

Non-DFSG: 1, 3, 5

That's really a good suggestion. It could then also be used for other
purposes, e.g., an extension to apt which would, in combination with an
extra configuration file, warn the user when he might be about to
install a package he's not allowed to use, according to the license.

I don't think it'd be sufficient to do that with. DFSG 3, for example, is _very_ broad. Off-hand, I think that when we're asked on -legal, DFSG is failed the most often, and in a variety of non-obvious ways.

Look at the number of ways the GFDL fails DFSG 3. You'd never expect most of them. I think it too 'til the third very lengthy analysis on -legal to find them.

I think having a simple text file describing them, intended towards reasonably knowledgeable human readers, is the best bet. Something like the vrms suggestion.

It could even be tersely put in the long description, where people could see it before installing the package.