Re: Another Non-Free Proposal

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 11:33:33PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> I don't think it makes sense to ask users if we should drop non-free,
> per se -- how would interpret 20% saying "no", and 80% saying "yes"?

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I was proposing to poll the users
whether they think 'Debian distributes non-free' or 'non-free is part of
Debian' or 'non-free is not part of the Debian distribution, but they
have it on their servers nevertheless'.

Something along those lines. In other words, what is the public view on
the relationship between the Debian project and its non-free part on the
debian.org servers?

> Some more detailed polling might be interesting, though. I'd be interested
> in knowing the answers to questions like:
>
> (a) Do you use non-free/proprietary software on a Debian system?
> (b) Do you use packages from the non-free component in Debian?
> (c) If you answered yes to (b), would any of the following cause you
>     to seriously consider switching to a different distribution:
>         (1) debs currently in non-free were maintained at roughly the same
> 	    level by a different group, and dropped by Debian itself?
>         (2) debs currently in non-free were only available from a variety of
>             third party sites (but accessible by apt), not necessarily with
> 	    any relationship to the Debian project at all, and not necessarily
> 	    reimplementing all the features Debian has (bug tracking, mirrors,
> 	    etc)?
>         (3) if bugs in free software that Debian distributes that only affect
>             non-free software are given a lower priority, or are not fixed at
> 	    all?
>         (4) if no non-free debs were available, but a majority of non-free
> 	    software for Linux was available in the form of LSB packages, and
> 	    work correctly on Debian when installed with alien?
>         (5) if the only way to install non-free software on Debian is by
> 	    using alien on packages for other distributions and hoping, or
> 	    building the package yourself?

That would definetely be useful. But we'd probably only have one shot at
a poll. There seem to be too many options and text in your poll to make
it on DebianPlanet verbatim in the current form.

Michael