Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:25:56PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> I doubt anyone with a package in contrib wants to keep it there, no
> matter what their position on non-free is.

Permit me to correct your doubts.

Package: xtrs
 xtrs is an X-based emulator for the Tandy/Radio Shack line of Zilog
 Z-80-based microcomputers popular in the late 1970's and early 1980's.  It
 features cassette, floppy, and hard drive emulation, timer interrupt
 emulation, file import and export from the host operating system, support for
 most of the undocumented Z-80 instructions, and a built-in debugger.  Real
 floppy drives can be used, and, if an OSS-compatible sound driver is
 available, application-based sound can be played and real cassettes read and
 written directly through the sound card or via WAVE files.  Several hi-res
 graphics cards are emulated and, in Model 4/4P mode, mice are supported.
 There is also real-time clock, sound card, serial port, joystick, and CPU
 clock speedup emulation.
 .
 xtrs requires ROM images from the original machines.  The ROMs are
 copyrighted by Radio Shack and are not freely licensed.  (Exception: in Model
 4P mode, a freely licensed boot ROM included with this package can be used to
 boot a Model 4 operating system from a diskette image.)  Instructions are
 provided for retrieval of TRS-80 ROM images by those who may legally use
 them.

I'm perfectly content for this package to remain in contrib.  It's not
very useful as a standalone work, so it is inappropriate for main
(though its Z-80 emulation code has been known to migrate to other
software projects).

If the Debian Project should decide that it can no longer provide a home
for this software, it's no skin off my ass.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      The greatest productive force is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      human selfishness.