Re: Revoking non-free less violently

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 05:27:30PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 12:37:07PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > So far, people seem to be taking the position that it will better to
> > > first vote on whether or not we're going to move in this direction (a
> > > super majority decision) and then, once that decision is made to focus
> > > on the details.
> > Cut first, measure later?
> An interestingly reversed metaphor.
> It is the process of voting which will enable us to measure what we want
> to do.  How we *act* upon that measurement is the "cutting".

Yes, and making a resolution is the process of acting. Changing our social
contract is acting. Removing non-free is acting.

> Passing a GR, in and of itself, does nothing tangible,

Tell me you're seriously claiming that passing a GR that resolves to
remove non-free and amend the social contract will result in no tangible
changes.

(By contrast, running a poll is an act of measurement, as is John's
popcon stats, as is setting up a separate nonfree.org repository and
seeing how much ongoing effort that is to maintain, as is working out
what the consequences of the decision -- particularly wrt contrib --
are in detail.)

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.