Re: We *can* be Free-only

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 06:06:17PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> I believe that Debian can be the world's first large-scale Free-only
> operating system project.

I believe it already is.

> non-free part of our archive.  Imagine, then, how much greator those
> effects would be by completely banning that software from our project
> until it gets a Free license!

There's no evidence that this is true. Some users who require non-free
software to use their computer in their own language or to support their
hardware will simply switch to Red Hat, Mandrake or some other
distribution which doesn't care so much about the DFSG. Then we've lost
any chance to convince them of the benefits of DFSG-free software.

I don't think we are likely to pick up any additional users because
we stop distributing non-free software. Where would those users come
from? They don't have a more-free system they can use now.

Hamish