Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On 2004-01-07 14:24:20 +0000 Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

	You fear that people who know absolutely nothing about a
package are deemed not the best judges to propose replacements?

No, I fear pointless exchanges like this example between 1, a non-free user, and 2, a non-free non-user:
1. I use A from non-free. What do you suggest I use instead?
2. B
1. B is no substitute for A! You don't use A, so you don't know what A does and can't make good suggestions.
2. What does A do that B doesn't?
1. Use it for yourself.
2. You know I won't.
1. Zealot! You don't care about the users.

what are the nearest equivalents of those two?
	Nothing yet. Nothing remotely close enough.

I asked "nearest" and not for a judgement of whether anything was "close enough". Anyway, good luck with helping them fix their licences.

[...]
	Pointing out ignorance on part of proponents of this GR is now
flame bait, heh.

No, but trying to kick off the above discussion is. It normally gets much firier than the above.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at