Re: one of the many reasons why removing non-free is a dumb idea

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 04:02:25PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:

> > > Care to elaborate? I don't understand that point.
> >
> > I maintain a non-free package, the unicorn driver,
> [...]
>
> Ah, ok. Thought you were talking about conspirations how DDs are not
> allowed to work on the inside of Debian's infrastructure. Like,
> improving the BTS or katie or whatnot.

:))

> Did you ever use Sourceforge? How difficult would it be for you to setup
> a Sourceforge-like project to distribute and maintain your driver? What
> would be the initial cost of setting it up, what would be the cost of
> maintaining it, compared to maintaining the package now?

More work than what i need to maintain the package as i do. Probably
more time than i will be able to free for this, i will probably take
away my package and simply package it for my own usage instead.

What would be gained by that ?

> (One cannot start projects for non-free stuff on Sourceforge, of course,
> but somebody could setup a similar service for www.nonfree.org. Asking
> the Alioth admins how difficult that would be might be a good first step)

Sourceforge is evil and non-free anyway, so we should use savannah ...
wait, not possible, savannah will not accept non-free stuff, hum ...

Friendly,

Sven Luther