Re: one of the many reasons why removing non-free is a dumb idea

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:21:22PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 07:33:08PM +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> > Sourceforge has a compile farm[1], and Debian has numerous machines DD's
> > can login too[2]. Not everybody has 11 different arches in their
> > basement... Without access to Debian-unstable boxes of all
>
> Debian's autobuilders do not build non-free.  People that happen to be
> Debian developers and have those machines do.  I'd venture to say very
> few non-free packages get ported by people that don't actually run them
> on that target platform.  So I don't think removing non-free would have
> a significant impact here.

Not with respect to the porting, I agree. Concerning the merely
building of the binary .deb files... the maintainer only needs how to
login on a remote debian system and how to invoke dpkg-buildpackage -
something that is known to every maintainer. And if a maintainer fails
to build .deb's for arches he doesn't run, his package will not
propagate to testing if previously his package WAS once built for that
arch.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar