Re: one of the many reasons why removing non-free is a dumb idea

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004, Craig Sanders wrote:
> i have no idea why you're mentioning it, though, because it doesn't
> seem to apply to you.  according to NM, you only applied to become a
> developer in October 2003, many years after we discussed the social
> contract and DFSG.

My involvement with Debian predates my NM application. I'm refering
specifically to a few works in non-free that have crossed
debian-legal's path.

> actually, no.  it doesn't work like that.  if it's not in debian,
> then all that means is that it's not in debian - there could be any
> reason why not.  however, if it's in non-free then that makes a
> statement about that particular program - it says that it is not
> free software as we define it.

In all the cases that I've been involved with, where the resultant
software has been freed, the presence or absence of the software in
Debian has not been the the most important factor. What matters is
communication with upstream with the goal of freeing the software.

> > > the fact that modified versions can not be redistributed really
> > > makes NO PRACTICAL DIFFERENCE to anyone at all.
> >
> > In numerous cases, it makes a difference to me.
>
> how, exactly?

I work with large data sets all the time in my research (I work with
gene microarrays, currently studying Alzheimer's Disease.) Quite often
I have to extract information from them, or use the in manners that
their original publishers did not intend. Datasets with restrictive
licenses keep me from making the actual dataset used in my
observations public, so people can easily verify and check the
results.

> > For example, consider the doom WAD files.
>
> if you want to be able to freely distribute doom wad files, then
> make your own graphics and sounds etc.  there's nothing stopping
> you.

Obviously, but this is a case where the fact that modified versions
cannot be redistributed makes a pratical difference to someone, which
was the point under discussion.

> no, the issue is precisely that some people can not stand the
> thought that other people might not make the morally-superior choice
> of using only DFSG-free software.
>
> so they take the morally-inferior action of inflicting their choices
> on everyone else.

We're discussing whether or not Debian should distribute works that
are not DFSG free, not whether we should allow our users to use works
that are non DFSG free.

You may argue that it is morally inferior for us to fail to make it
easy for people to make a morally inferior choice, but to claim that
we are restraining people from using non-free software is ludicrous at
best.

Don Armstrong

--
Personally, I think my choice in the mostest-superlative-computer wars
has to be the HP-48 series of calculators.  They'll run almost

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu