Re: RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 12:28:22PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

[snip rationale 13]
> 	This by itself does not matter as much as you think it does,
>  since the voter has no choice here.

Well, then, how much *does* it matter?  Why did you include rationale
statements in the text of the ballot for the disambiguation of 4.1.5?

Also, you elided part of the message to which you replied, and I would
like to hear your thoughts on it:

> > If the Social Contract had a provision proscribing the Debian
> > Account Managers from disabling developers' accounts, and we voted
> > by a landslide to remove that proscription, would it follow that the
> > Debian Account Managers should immediately disable all developers'
> > accounts?
> >
> > After all, they'd have a mandate, right?

Please explain to me how the above is materially different from the
proposal to remove clause 5 from the Social Contract.

>  Heck, I know that the rationale said that, but it does not affect my
>  intent. So, people overwhelmingly voting to remove clause 5 would
>  still mean a mandate for removal of non free.

I continue to disagree with this analysis.  It means a mandate for
removing the presence or absence of "non-free" from the scope of the
Social Contract.

There are plenty of things that Debian does that aren't directly
addressed by the Social Contract.

> Now, if this were part of the ballot; if I could chose
>
>    a) remove clause 5, but do not remove non-free from the archive
>    b) remove clause 5, and clear the way to remove non-free as well
>
> 	then yes, we can remove clause 5, and clearly know whether or
>  not there was a mandate.

I'm confused; you just said we clearly know anyway -- "people
overwhelmingly voting to remove clause 5 would still mean a mandate for
removal of non free.".

I mean, my proposal either means what I say it does or it doesn't, but
either way, its meaning is clear, right?  And if that's not the case,
why doesn't my rationale statement matter?

>  Lacking this, I think people shall vote for
>  the proposal on its merits, and their intentions are not limited to
>  what the rationale says is proper motivation and intent.

Of course not.  But it's generally unwise to leap to conclusions.  In
the text of my proposed amended Social Contract, what *forbids* us from
distributing non-free software as something other than "our
Distribution"?

> 	Lacking a clear choice made by voters, no amount of "people
>  who chose this proposal believe in chaos theory" style assertions in
>  the rationale carry any weight.

I agree, which is why I do not understand why it makes sense to assume
that someone's failure to say "I shall wax my car at least once a year"
means "I shall NOT wax my car at least once a year".

> > Which of us is expressing the lower opinion of the electorate,
> > again?
>
> 	I certainly am not. You seem to think that stating something
>  in a rationale binds peoples motivations;

Not true at all.  A rationale statement can serve a few purposes:

1) It can attempt to persuade people to adopt the position the rationale
supports;

2) It can help clarify the intentions of the author of the position so
that others can assist him or her in expressing him- or herself more
clearly;

3) It can be used as reference material for understanding the scope of
and motivations behind the proposition in question.

Item 3) is most important when studying why a proposition passed or
failed retrospectively.  However, such information is seldom more than
suggestive, and almost never dispositive -- because, as you note, a
rationale cannot bind voters' motivations, and they may have reasons for
accepting or rejecting a proposition that are wholly irrelevant to the
stated rationale(s) for that proposition.

>  like they were sheep to change their reasons for voting just because
>  you said so in the rationale.

Is it your implication that a person who is capable of having his or her
mind changed through persuasive argument is a "sheep"?

If not, why have you constructed this position and ascribed it to me?
It is terribly unflattering, and does not seem apropos for a serious
discussion.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      We either learn from history or,
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      uh, well, something bad will