Re: April 17th Draft of the Voting GR

Hello,

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 09:57:40AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>      3. Any (non-default) option which does not defeat the default option
>         by its required majority ratio is dropped from consideration.
>         a. Given two options A and B, V(A,B) is the number of voters
>            who prefer option A over option B.
>         b. An option A defeats the default option D by a majority
>            ratio N, if V(A,D) is strictly greater than N * V(D,A).
>         c. If a supermajority of S:1 is required for A, its majority ratio
>            is S; otherwise, its majority ratio is 1.
Assuming we really want this clause, we should try to get it
complete: what happens in the case that 3b+3c eliminates all
options?  I guess the default option should win then?

And do we really want to drop the default option at this point?  If
this is the case, we could add a sentenct like "note that this removes
the default option from the ballot".

>      5. If there are defeats between options in the Schwartz set, we
>         drop the weakest such defeats, and return to step 4.
I asked this before: is the concept of "dropping a defeat"
really clear without explanation?  At least it is not clear to me.
Does it mean dropping the defeated option?  Or setting the values
in two cells of the tally table to 0?

>      6. If there are no defeats within the Schwartz set, then ..
How could there be defeats within the Schwartz set at this point?
Couldn't we simply write "The elector with the casting vote chooses
the winner among the remaining options"?

I hope this helps,
Jochen
--
                                         Omm