Re: Debian Project Leader Election 2003 Results

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:02:14PM -0500, Aaron M. Ucko wrote:
> Like Sam, I see no particular need for salt beyond the username.

Uh.. Sam who?  I saw no email.  The username is insufficient salt; the
secretary has a list of all debian usernames and has at least a year to
attempt to construct collisions.

> However, I did notice a potential anonymity attack: the presence of
> consistent partial voter lists and dummy tally sheets leaked some
> information about which voters could have which hashes.  (Batching
> obviously alleviated this, but there were probably hours when very few
> initial votes came in.)
>
> One remedy would be not to post the list of who had voted until after
> the election.

Yes, that's true.  Or add a significanlty longer batching period; maybe
one day is enough.