Re: Questions to all candidates

* Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> [2003-02-28 12:09]:
> > When the Social Contract was originally drafted, the title "Our
> > Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" was meant to strike a
> > balance between meeting the needs of those who would use Debian and
> > the idealism of the Free Software movement that we emerged from.
>
> Do you agree above understanding of "Debian History"?  (Bdale: skip this)
>  [X] Yes
>  [ ] No
>  [ ] I do not know / No comment
> Comment:

Yes, I agree this was the case when the SC was drafted.  However, I
also agree with Branden that there is not fundamental tension between
the neews of our users and Free Software.

> > The most concrete example of this balance is the existence of non-free.
>
> Do you agree above understanding of "Debian History"?  (Bdale: skip this)
>  [X] Yes (even if you want to change current situation in near future.)
>  [ ] No
>  [ ] I do not know / No comment
> Comment:

non-free was important for some users because there were no good
alternatives available.  This is slowly changing, however.

> What shall be done if there is a conflict between "user" and "freedom".
>
>  [X] Freedom rules!
>  [ ] User rules!                             (I hope no one picks this.)
>  [ ] I do not know / No comment
>  [X] Seek amicable compromise
> Comment:

We should try to achieve a compromise, but in the end, we should
preserve our freedom and that of our users.

> Do you think we need to change situation over non-free?
>
>  [ ] Yes (Within the next DPL term)
>  [ ] Yes (Timeline is flexible)
>  [ ] Yes (After the next DPL term)
>  [ ] No
>  [X] I do not know / No comment
> Comment:

I used to think that non-free should be removed.  Nowadays, I tend to
think it's ok to just let it die off slowly... moving non-free to a
different archive outside of Debian and mainting a separate archive is
very much work; and our current ftp-masters seen not to mind
maintaining non-free as part of the current archive... Actually, I
think it's quite funny that no one in the non-free debate has actually
bothered to ask those who are involved about their opinion (especially
the ftp-masters, but also QA people -- they have to deal with non-free
issues, even if they might not care).

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com