Questions to all candidates

I think this SC#4 interpretation is an essential issue with significant
impact to the future of Debian.

Although some of my questions may sounds redundant, I want to verify
these key points with all the candidates who wish to clarify his current
view.  Please help me understand you.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 01:21:38PM -0700, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> oohara@libra.interq.or.jp (Oohara Yuuma) writes:
> > can you tell me what "Our Users" in #4 of the social contract means?
>
> When the Social Contract was originally drafted, the title "Our
> Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" was meant to strike a
> balance between meeting the needs of those who would use Debian and
> the idealism of the Free Software movement that we emerged from.

Do you agree above understanding of "Debian History"?  (Bdale: skip this)

 [ ] Yes
 [ ] No
 [ ] I do not know / No comment
Comment:

> The most concrete example of this balance is the existence of non-free.

Do you agree above understanding of "Debian History"?  (Bdale: skip this)

 [ ] Yes (even if you want to change current situation in near future.)
 [ ] No
 [ ] I do not know / No comment
Comment:

What shall be done if there is a conflict between "user" and "freedom".

 [ ] Freedom rules!
 [ ] User rules!                             (I hope no one picks this.)
 [ ] I do not know / No comment
 [ ] Seek amicable compromise
Comment:

Do you think we need to change situation over non-free?

 [ ] Yes (Within the next DPL term)
 [ ] Yes (Timeline is flexible)
 [ ] Yes (After the next DPL term)
 [ ] No
 [ ] I do not know / No comment
Comment:

Do you think DPL needs to place its leadership to steer Debian on this
issue?

 [ ] Yes (It is within DPL's scope of responsibility)
 [ ] No  (It is not within DPL's scope of responsibility)
 [ ] I do not know / No comment
Comment:

Please elaborate your thoughts for the forward path on SC#4 issue and
non-free issue with some time-line and milestones indicated as much as
comfortable.  (I see some far-eastern fonts and other data packages are
one to suffer if non-free is killed immediately.)

comment:

Thank you for your attention.
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract