Re: Dec 15 voting amendment draft

 > Regarding the Feburary 7th draft.  Are the results this draft
 > produces equivalent to the results produced using this method?

 > (a) All voters tick an 'approved' box next to all options that
 >     would
 > of been above the default option using the draft method.
 > (b) Any option which recieves a majority (or supermajority ) of
 > approved ticks is 'approved'.
 > (c) Any option which is not approved is eliminated.
 > (d) If all options are eliminated, the default option wins,
 >     otherwise
 > CSSD is performed on non-eliminated non-default options.

 > And if so, does the draft method have the same strategy problems as
 > approval?

	Hmm. Looking at http://www.electionmethods.org/approved.htm,
 I don't see what strategy problems you are referring to: the
 strategies in place seem mostly to be selecting the winner, which we
 do not do here, and not about elimination. The only reason for
 elimination is if there are not enough people who rate that option
 above the default; if some option has enough voters, there is little
 I can do to change that, and eliminate that option.

 > I suggest that it does, as it would not be difficult to construct a
 > ballot where only one option is 'approved' ('approved' meaning not
 > eliminated in step 3 of vote counting). These ballots are
 > effectively approval ballots, as CSSD is not used or needed by the
 > draft method, and hence have the same properties as approval
 > ballots.

	Can you elaborate on how tis works? How can one construct a
 ballot for a vote about colors of the rainbow, say, where the
 candidates are
 Violet, Indigo,Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, and Red, and Violet and
 Red have a supermajority requirement of 2:1?

	manoj
--
To a Californian, a person must prove himself criminally insane before
he is allowed to drive a taxi in New York.  For New York cabbies,