Re: QUESTIONNAIRE: Debian Project Leadership

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 05:58:40PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> 1.  Rank the following possible functions of Debian Project Leader in
[snip - ranking system]

>     [ 2 ] attending trade shows and conferences
>     [ 1 ] resolving disputes internal to the Project
>     [ 2 ] representing Debian to trade associations, businesses and NGOs
>           (non-governmental organizations)
>     [ 2 ] drafting and implementing internal procedures for the Project
>           that aren't already well-defined
>     [ 1 ] appointing delegates per the Constitution
>     [   ] fixing bugs in packages that no one else will fix
>     [ 3 ] cash fundraising
>     [ 3 ] acquiring donations of bandwidth, equipment, and hosting
>     [ 4 ] mentoring other developers
>
>     Comments:

Letting the CTTE/others resolve disputes where applicable, procedure
definitions shouldn't be made by the DPL alone, but perhaps by a
delegated committee (or such)

> 2.  Rank the following past and present DPLs in order of greatest
>     Comments (why did you rank these people as you did?):

No experience with any DPLs except bdale...

> 3.  True or false: the New Maintainer system is still broken.

True

> 4.  True or false: we should place more emphasis on architectures that
>     have a lot of users.

False

>     Comments:

Architectures with a lot of users (i386) already get a lot of attention.

> 5.  True or false: release management in this Project is a big problem.

True

> 6.  True or false: there are too many inactive developers.

True

> 7.  True, false, or not applicable: the Debian Project Leader should see
>     to it that inactive developers are placed on notice that they will
>     be dropped from the Project, and then if they do not become active,
>     "expire" them from our ranks.

True

> 8.  True or false: the concept of "one maintainer per package" is
>     outmoded, and packages should be maintained as more of a group or
>     communal process.

True

>     Comments:
.. partly, not all packages need this.

> 9.  True or false: the Debian Policy Manual and Bug Tracking System
>     should be used together as a "stick" with which to compel
>     uncooperative maintainers to change the way they maintain their
>     packages.

False ...

>     Comments:

... but Debian needs to remain a whole, and maintain a 'uniformity'(sp)

> 10. True or false: the Debian Project is biased against people who do
>     not speak English fluently.

True

>     Comments:

Not much compared to others, normal in the computer world.

> 11. True, false, or not applicable: there is not a lot that we can do
>     about the Debian Project being biased against people who do not
>     speak English fluently.

True

> 12. Should the DPL attempt to build consensus among a small group of
>     experts or among the whole project before taking a major action, or
>     should he go it alone?  Mark one.
>
>     [   ] build consensus among a small group
>     [ X ] build consensus among the whole Project
>     [   ] take unilateral action

Or, where applicable, the people affected.

> 13. Rank the following possible traits of Debian Project Leader as
>     assets (with an "A") or liabilities (with an "L") between the
>     brackets to the left of the item.  Leave blank items you consider as
>     having no bearing on the role of DPL.
>
>     [ A ] a high level of visibility as a "regular developer" on
>           internal Project mailing lists
>     [ A ] a high level of visibility as Project leader on internal
>           Project mailing lists
>     [   ] a high level of visibility in Debian-related IRC channels
>     [   ] a preference for reading prepared statements over extemporaneous
>           presentations at public gatherings
>     [ L ] a preference for brokering agreement behind the scenes between
>           conflicting parties
>     [ A ] a preference for brokering agreement in public between
>           conflicting parties
>     [ A ] a sense of humor

> 14. True or false: the Debian Project Leader should attend as many trade
>     shows and conferences as possible for him or her.

False...

>     Comments:
... unless he wants to. He should feel free to, of course.

> 15. True, false, or not applicable: Debian Project funds should be
>     spent on getting the Debian Project Leader to as many trade shows
>     and conferences as possible when corporate sponsorship is
>     unavailable.

False

> 16. True or false: the Technical Committee is operating as intended
>     under the Constitution.

False

> 17. True or false: a simple majority of voting Debian Developers should
>     be sufficient to modify the Debian Free Software Guidelines.

False

>     Comments:

Being the basis for the Debian project, I'd expect at least a qualified
majority (I do not recall the size, but 3/4ths seems reasonable to me)

> 18. True or false: a simple majority of voting Debian Developers should
>     be sufficient to modify the Debian Social Contract.

False

>     Comments:

See above.

> 19. Should decisions about DFSG-compliance be made on the debian-legal
>     list, or should we have a more formalized body for making such
>     decisions?

debian-legal

>     Comments:

People with skill and interest can subscribe.

> 20. True or false: under the current Constitution as written, a simple
>     majority of voting Debian Developers is sufficient to modify the
>     Debian Social Contract and Free Software Guidelines.

No idea. False, I'd guess.

> [...]
>           DPL.
>     [ X ] Making the Debian keyring maintainer, archive administrators,
>           and system administrators DPL delegates has creates a
>           potentially dangerous situation for which there is no analogue
>           under the current situation.
>     [   ] The DPL has more important things to worry about than who's
>           delegated to do what.
>     [   ] People who capitalize the phrase "Free Software" are annoying.
>     [   ] The Free Software Foundation is run by a bunch of crazy hippie
>           communists, and Debian is being taken over by more of the same.
>     [   ] The Open Source Initiative is run by a bunch of Christian
>           fundamentalist right-wing gun nuts, and Debian is being taken
>           over by more of the same.
>     [   ] I deeply resent whimsy intruding into this questionnaire.
>     [   ] A person who lost the DPL election twice shouldn't think about
>           running again.
>     [   ] No one who lost the DPL election was ever subsequently elected
>           DPL.
>     [   ] No one who lost the DPL election twice was ever subsequently
>           elected DPL.
>     [   ] Bdale Garbee is unbeatable.
>     [   ] Bdale Garbee has disappointed me.
>     [ X ] We should elect a DPL based on his or her platform and
>           contributions to the project, not based on personality issues.
>     [   ] A DPL candidate shouldn't make promises in his or her
>           platform.
>     [   ] We should elect a DPL who reflects who we want to be, even if
>           they don't reflect who we are.
>     [   ] DPL elections are essentially popularity contests.
>     [   ] There is nothing we can do about the above statement; it's the
>           nature of the beast.
>     [   ] Circulating this questionnaire proves that you're unfit to be
>           Project Leader.
>     [   ] Circulating this questionnaire demonstrates leadership.
>     [ X ] Circulating this questionnaire is a cynical attempt to
>           manipulate the electorate.
>     [   ] Debian Developers should publicly and prominently campaign for
>           the person they'd prefer to see as Project Leader.
>     [   ] Debian Developers should keep their DPL preferences to
>           themselves.
>     [ X ] DPL campaigns have increasingly come to adopt traits of
>           conventional politics.
>     [ X ] I find previous statement true and not a cause for concern.
>     [   ] The DPL can barely wipe his nose without consensus.  (The DPL
>           is essentially a figurehead without much real power.)
>     [   ] Debian's effort at a constitutional system of governance
>           has been a failure.
>     [ X ] The Debian Constitution and the apparatuses instituted by it
>           are basically instruments of last resort, called into play
>           when our traditional methods of operation fail.
>     [   ] We'd be better off with a few hundred fewer Developers.
>     [   ] We'd be better off with more Developers.
>     [   ] Debian distributes too many packages; we should narrow our

DMUP: DDs should have a clue. People with a clue know what to do / not
to do.

Electing DPL, based on: Primarily platform, contributions are of less
importance.

I have removed direct questions about Branden Robinson from this mail

--
Rune B. Broberg
Feel free to GPG-encrypt email sent to me.          Keyid: 0x87CD3DBD