Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 12:32:55PM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2003, at 16:38, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > 2) unicorn : this is a driver for my ADSL pci modem, which is in se
> > free, but use a non-free binary only software ADSL library, which even
> > the manufacturer of the card has not access to the source of it.
> > Compare this to many other stuff in main which needs to download
> > non-free codecs and such.
>
> Sounds like it should be in contrib, not non-free.

It does include the software ADSL modem library. And no, i don't like
the idea of offering a downloader or something to build it, this is no
good idea, since it may mean versioning problems or worse.

Also, consider the irony of needing to download some stuff to build the
driver for your ADSL modem :))

Finally, if someone would implement a replacement for the ADSL library,
then this package would immediately become free, but i am told that the
number of person who understand the working of soft-ADSL libraries can
be counted on the fingers of the hand, so i doubt we will see a free
replacement soon. Altough i would gladly welcome them.

Friendly,

Sven Luther