OT: Re: What's the scam? (was: what´s the prize?)

Anthony DeRobertis had the gall to say:

> On Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003, at 17:02 US/Eastern, david albarran wrote:
>
> >hi! i want to know what this is about. and if i won a prize tell me as
> >soon as you can i¥m the 50,000,000 th user, so show me the money.
>
> OK, we get a fair number of these. So do some other people. None of the
> claimants ever seem to respond when asked about the details. From
> googling, here are some other references:
[snip]

> Personally, I sort of suspect address collection or other scam. I
> suspect this because of all the messages we've gotten, and all I can
> find on the web, the are quite similar in ways you would not expect,
> such as putting the commas in "50,000,000". No one wrote "50000000" or
> "50.000.000". I'd expect that if these were messages generated by
> confused lusers, we'd see more variation in them.

I agree totally - and I believe it's also the case with mails asking
about a random set of well-known windows buzz-words (e.g. driver, cd,
win, attachment, etc).

IMHO, it's spammers abusing the "Finally - a question *I* can help
with!" feeling of low/middle-ability users on The Other OS.

I'm always a little dubious about telling bogofilter that they're spam,
as they include valid nouns which might easily come up on lists.  Ideas,
anyone?

jc