Re: Updated proposed ballot for the constitutional amendment (clarification of section 4.1.5)

On Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003, at 05:53 US/Eastern, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
As i understand it, a majority is 50% +1, while anything else is a
super-majority. There is no such thing as a 75% majority or a 60%
majority. These are super-majorities, since they are clearly more
than a majority.

	Then your understanding is incorrect.

     2. The greater number; more than half; as, a majority of
        mankind; a majority of the votes cast.
        [1913 Webster]

So, then, 51% would be enough, but proposals A and C require 3:1. That's more than a majority; hence, supermajority.

More important than arguing over definitions is, I think, consistency. Let's just pick one of the words for the GR. Using both words makes the reader wonder if there is a sane reason to do so, and he starts trying to figure out how a "3:1 majority" is different from a "3:1 supermajority". It seems to be fairly normal and expected to used the same word consistently in technical and legal documents (unlike novels, for example). I suggest we do so.