Re: [AMENDMENT BR3] GR: Disambiguation of Section 4.1.5 of the constitution

Hi,

Branden Robinson wrote:
> -   5.2 The Foundation Documents are the works entitled "Debian
> -       Social Contract" and "Debian Free Software Guidelines".
> +   5.2 The Foundation Document is the work entitled "Debian
> +       Social Contract".

I disagree. Rationale: The DFSG doesn't codify a majority opinion -- it
codifies a (rough) consensus. Therefore changing ... oops,
superseding ;-) ... it should also require some approximation of consensus. A
3:1 supermajority is IMHO an example of this approximation; a simple 1:1
majority isn't.

Unrelated nit: I don't like the analogy of DFSG to statutory law. Statutory
laws are frequently passed in a way almost, but not quite, entirely unlike
something that makes sense WRT solving the actual problem.  :-/

--
Matthias Urlichs    |    {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de     |    smurf@debian.org
Disclaimer: The quote was selected randomly. Really. | http://smurf.debian.net