Re: Constitutional amendment: Condorcet/Clone Proof SSD vote tallying

Hi,

John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> Matthias Urlichs:
> > The point of wording it the "old" way was that any option which is ranked
> > below the default by a majority is removed before starting the algorithm.

I was talking about (super)majority requirements (WRT the default option)
here.

> Not correct. The original proposal simply threw out the voter's intent
> iff the option did not have R+1 people ranking it higher than default.
> this is where the concept of quorum is being mis-applied. this is what
> is being fixed.

You're talking about quorum here.

As I said, I'm in favor of your idea of throwing the whole vote if quorum
isn't met -- we thus avoid the possibility of electing the "wrong" option by
insincere voting.

> a much easier and likely case can be constructed where an otherwise
> winning option is dropped before consideration, which is Even Worse.

IMNSHO, if the "Condorcet/SSD winner" option does not have a majority WRT the
default option, then it shouldn't win. The default option has a built-in
priority here, which I consider to be a Good Thing. Otherwise we'd have a
controversial result which will not actually settle the issue which the vote
was about.

Anyway, I still think that your two changes do NOT depend on each other.

NB: The mailing list to discuss this is named "debian-vote". Debian-devel is
busy enough already.  IMHO.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf@smurf.noris.de
"Heresy is a cradle; orthodoxy a coffin."