Re: current A.6 draft [examples]

Hi,

Anthony Towns:
> (Raul doesn't eliminate defaults by the default option, 40:35 is the next
... defeats by ...
> weakest defeat)

I seem to have overlooked that.

Frankly, I don't think that special treatment of the default option
is a good idea. We are already using supermajority rules, which gives the
default option extra weight. Why would we want _another_ rule which does
basically the same, but somewhat differently?

Anyway, if you don't eliminate defeats by the default option, then the
default option is always the winner(*) if it's in the Schwartz set.
(*): unless there's a tie, probably.

> Likewise: you already eliminated A because it didn't satisfy its
> supermajority requirement against the default option.

There was no supermajority requirement stated in that example.

IMHO:

The basic CpSSD algorithm has a few rather nice properties. IMHO it is in
no way certain that any of the proposed rules which change this basic
algorithm do not destabilize it and allow for insincere/strategic voting,
or yield a surprising result which the voters will not accept.

We thus should implement a supermajority-capable algorithm which doesn't
break CpSSD. As I see it, the only method which can do that, by virtue of
not touching the basic CpSSD algorithm, is to eliminate a candidate option
from the ballot and re-run the voting algorithm from the top if the winner
doesn't have a sufficient supermajority against the default option.

--
Matthias Urlichs     |     noris network AG     |     http://smurf.noris.de/