Re: Vote verification --- a futile exercise?

On Friday, April 5, 2002, at 04:51 AM, Richard Braakman wrote:

Indeed.  We're geeks, and the election is a new toy that we're taking
apart to see how it works :-)

<rant>

Yep. And we'll eventually come up with something that works perfectly every time, never allows fraud, vote selling, etc.; allows you to change your mind; does not force you to vote for one of two major parties; and can be understood by anyone willing to take the time to learn it.

Then someone --- let's call them SoftMicro --- will come out with a voting system that is plagued with security holes, routinely has votes and entire elections stolen, forces people to vote for the one major candidate or have his vote effectively not count; counts votes using some contortionist's dream, understood by no one (source is not available); and eventually spits out a random result each time (when it doesn't crash completely, requiring a new election). People will flock to it in droves.

</rant>