Re: debian services and responsibility

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 11:25:15AM +0100, David N. Welton wrote:
> > I would like to know the opinions of the DPL candidates on
> > responsibility for Debian machines and services.
> >
> > As it stands now, we have outages, and no one seems to really have a
> > firm handle on the situation.  For instance, master has been
> > unavailable for almost 48 hours, and the few people who have physical
> > access to it seem to be saying "sorry, don't have time".  That is not
> > an ideal situation for Debian services.
>
> No, in fact I'd venture to say it's unacceptable.

Huh?

Not only is it acceptable, but it is a necessary situtation for an
organization in our position.

Brainfood is responding to a possible intrusion as best they can, and as
efficiently as they can. They have done as much as possible to ensure the
critical services will continue to operate, and I'm confident they will
resolve the problem as soon as they can. They have always been very prompt
with issues relating to murphy and master, they are just aware as the rest
of us how important those machines are.

Frankly, I'm very annoyed you decided to CC such an email to our sponsor.
I truely hope it is only because you and Ean have an existing
relationship. Any other sponsor would have likely got very upset after
getting an email like this.

It is extremely difficult to get the serious dontations we do get, we
absolultely do not need crap like this being sent to our sponsors. It is
already pretty bad to see it in a public forum from a DPL candidate!

I should have ensured a posting was made to Debian-Announce when this came
up, but I was away from my computer that day - now the issue is somewhat
moot as it has been on -private/etc..

Jason
Debian Admin