Re: Some questions for the DPL candidates

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 10:38:02AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 12:51:11PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 09:24:45AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > > I would certainly not like to vote for someone who just said "I'll
> > > support whatever the project supports", since that would not be a
> > > "leader" at all, but a follower :)
> >
> > Strange enough, this is what the constitution expects the leader to do.
> >
> >   5.3. Procedure
> >
> >    The Project Leader should attempt to make decisions which are
> >    consistent with the consensus of the opinions of the Developers.
> >
> >    Where practical the Project Leader should informally solicit the views
> >    of the Developers.
> >
> >    The Project Leader should avoid overemphasizing their own point of
> >    view when making decisions in their capacity as Leader.
> >
> > I would certainly not vote a candidate who is not familiar with this
> > paragraph of the constitution, or who is not willing to follow it.
>
> You misunderstand. Having an opinion and trying to "lead" the project does
> not mean overriding the Developers' final decisions. Obviously the DPL
> can have one opinion, and lobby for one result, while still making
> decisions based on what the developers wish.

is this just a euphemism for "pandering to the mob" ?
i.e. no conviction in your beliefs.
sure, dpl should weigh developers decisions, no doubt there.

but the way you say "making decisions based on what the developers
wish", i interpret that to mean he will essentially translate their
desires => his actions, which is not necessarily good.

perhaps you really meant "weigh the desires of the developers
carefully/heavily" ?

--
Brian Russo      <brusso@phys.hawaii.edu>
Debian/GNU Linux <wolfie@debian.org> http://www.debian.org