Secret votes HOWTO

	Hi!

	If the votes are keeped secret, how we can be sure, that the
final result of the votes is correct?  Maybe there were some software
bugs, human mistakes or misunderstanding of the constitution?
	Can we accept the following procedure for the future balots?
Every voted Debian developer receives a message like this:

> Your ballot has been received and tallied.
>
> Name: Anton Zinoviev
> Email: zinoviev@debian.org
> Id: zinoviev
> Ballot: 231
> VoteNumber: 159  <-- this is new information.

Then the final result is announced in this way:

Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 07:47:47 -0500
From: Raul Miller <moth@debian.org>
To: debian-devel-announce@lists.debian.org, debian-vote@lists.debian.org
Subject: And the winner is...

Ok, voting is over, Ben Collins is our new leader.

Congratulations to everyone who participated, and especially Ben.

311 people voted, here's a summary of the tallies:

Choice #1: Branden Robinson
        is prefered to Choice #2: Anand Kumria (165-31)
        is prefered to Choice #4: Bdale Garbee (133-118)
        is prefered to Choice #5: None Of The Above (158-25)
Choice #2: Anand Kumria
        is prefered to Choice #5: None Of The Above (98-59)
Choice #3: Ben Collins
        is prefered to Choice #1: Branden Robinson (149-112)
        is prefered to Choice #2: Anand Kumria (175-24)
        is prefered to Choice #4: Bdale Garbee (145-115)
        is prefered to Choice #5: None Of The Above (162-20)
Choice #4: Bdale Garbee
        is prefered to Choice #2: Anand Kumria (178-20)
        is prefered to Choice #5: None Of The Above (179-10)
Choice #5: None Of The Above

Here's how people voted:

  Choice #1: Branden Robinson
/  Choice #2: Anand Kumria
|/  Choice #3: Ben Collins
||/  Choice #4: Bdale Garbee
|||/  Choice #5: None Of The Above
23-14 153
--21- 118
4312- 287
2413- 171
3-21- 237
35124 266
2-1-- 147
35214 272
--12- 40
24315 196
--21- 114
4321- 290
34215 259
13425 52
2-1-3 125
14325 87
--12- 8
54213 308
53124 303
25134 209
-4123 278
3-21- 229
35124 265
24135 182
14235 67
15324 105
35214 268
23145 159
2-1-- 120
24315 204
13524 55
45213 298
---1- 50
3-12- 219
14523 92
15324 107
2-13- 140
2-1-3 141
3421- 258
15234 100
1-23- 27
23145 160
2413- 172
2-1-- 145
--12- 36
2-413 173
24135 186
--21- 146
----1 94
3-21- 238
24135 187
1--23 32
54123 306
35421 276
34125 249
-312- 225
34125 250
34125 251
14235 72
--1-- 111
132-- 49
52413 301
14253 78
1--2- 37
43125 289
3-21- 239
24135 188
35214 271
--213 144
2-31- 163
24315 205
1-23- 33
41235 279
24135 189
24135 190
4321- 293
14235 73
1---- 112
3-12- 226
2314- 162
3412- 253
---1- 113
34215 263
25314 213
23145 161
--21- 148
---12 39
3-214 236
14235 74
35214 273
15234 101
34125 252
2413- 192
14235 75
35214 274
24135 191
1423- 76
1-23- 34
1--23 35
13245 46
13245 47
1432- 79
24135 174
14235 57
24315 197
2-13- 122
35214 267
2413- 166
2-31- 149
23415 165
53124 302
14235 58
3-21- 227
14523 89
3412- 240
24135 175
15234 95
53214 304
13425 51
15234 96
24153 193
1-2-3 20
--1-2 4
1--2- 5
24135 176
23145 156
1-2-- 6
4132- 280
231-- 150
34125 242
--213 124
1324- 45
13245 48
3-124 220
14325 85
34125 243
3-124 221
24135 177
4132- 281
2413- 167
1-2-3 21
25134 208
14235 59
---1- 1
1-32- 43
3-21- 228
45123 295
34215 260
1432- 80
1-234 28
4-123 277
54213 307
3-12- 214
3-124 222
2-314 154
24135 178
--123 22
14523 90
14325 86
3412- 241
52413 300
---12 7
2-1-- 115
2-13- 126
1-234 29
32145 234
14235 60
24135 179
14235 61
3421- 254
3421- 255
--123 23
34125 244
1-2-- 9
24135 180
24315 198
34125 245
15234 97
2-13- 127
3421- 256
15423 108
231-- 151
14325 88
34215 261
14235 62
-2-13 128
14532 93
15234 98
-21-- 116
13524 54
32-14 233
1-32- 44
15324 103
43125 288
2--1- 117
54123 305
54213 309
1-2-- 10
14253 77
2413- 168
2-134 142
43215 291
----1 2
1-234 30
2413- 169
14235 63
14235 64
43215 292
4231- 283
43512 294
2-1-- 119
--1-- 3
15324 104
1-2-- 11
54213 310
2-1-3 129
2-13- 130
24315 199
45321 299
14235 65
--12- 12
14523 91
34125 246
25143 211
15432 110
35124 264
3-124 223
3-12- 215
24315 200
25134 210
24513 206
42513 285
24315 201
24135 181
15234 99
2-13- 131
1-23- 24
2-314 155
23145 157
2431- 194
3-21- 230
34125 247
--12- 13
14235 66
3-21- 231
1-2-- 14
23145 158
3-21- 232
1-2-- 15
1432- 81
35412 275
2431- 195
3124- 224
2-13- 132
24135 183
---12 16
15423 109
24135 184
25314 212
15243 102
-312- 216
3421- 257
24135 185
24315 202
1---- 38
2413- 170
1432- 82
4-213 282
2--13 133
4312- 286
1-23- 25
--213 134
---12 17
13425 53
35214 269
4231- 284
34125 248
35214 270
2-13- 135
3--12 217
24315 203
14235 68
14235 69
24531 207
-312- 218
2-134 143
1--23 26
45123 296
1432- 83
1432- 84
2--13 136
1-2-- 18
45213 297
32145 235
1-234 31
14235 70
34215 262
1423- 56
2-13- 137
14235 71
54213 311
--213 138
--1-- 41
15324 106
---1- 42
2341- 164
2-13- 139
2-31- 152
1---2 19
2-1-- 121
--21- 123

The following developers voted:

93sam aclark adric ads aigarius ajk ajpg ajt alain alfie alfs andrea
andreas anle aph arthur atterer bab bam bame barbier bart bas bates
baux bcollins bdale bma bod bottoms bradm branden brian brianb
bridgett brinkmd broonie bug1 bunk carey cas casi cate cech cetus ch
chanop charon che chrisb chrism cjwatson clameter cmc cord coven
cpbotha cph csmall csurchi cts cwryu daenzer dan dancer dark darke
data david davidc davidw dburrows decklin dennis dhd dld dmartin dmaze
dnn dobbo dres drew dsp dsw dwarf dwhedon dzu ecain ed edd edlang
efraim eichin epg era evo ezanard falk fh fizbin fog forcer fpeters
fuji gbechly gecko gemorin gibreel gopal gord gorgo hamish hartmans
hattas hector henry herbert hertzog hilliard hugo igenibel iko
ishikawa ivey ivo jab jaldhar jaqque jblache jdassen jdg jerome jewel
jlines jmintha joey joeyh john johnf joostvb jordi joy jpenny jsj
jstudt jtravs jwest jwl kalfa kamop kcr kitame kk klindsay kmuto
knghtbrd knok kobras kov kreckel ks kubota lakeland lamont lars
lawrencc lear leo leutloff lfilipoz lmoore lohner lolando lowe lss
lupus luther madhack maehara makholm mako marcel marillat martijn
martin martinb matthew mbuck md mdorman mdz mechanix meskes mhatta mjb
mmagallo moth mvo nakahara ng nick nidd nils njordan noodles ocsi oldw
oliver ossama othmar pa pa3aba pablo patrick paulvt pavel pdm peterk
pfrauenf phil philipc plypkie pm porridge pouelle prh psg pvaneynd
rafael rb rbf rcw rdonald remco remi ressu risko rjs rkrusty rmayr
rmurray robbe robert robot101 rogerso rogoyski ron salve sano sanvila
sauter schizo schoepf schuller sdier sfrost sgybas shane sharkey
shorty siggi smr srivasta sstrick stephen stevegr stijn stone storm
susumuo synrg take talby taral taru tausq tb tbm tca tfheen thom tille
timshel tmancill torsten treacy treinen troup turbo tv tyson ujr ukai
vela viiru vorlon voss wakkerma waldi warp weasel willy wmono wolfie
wouter ygh younie ypwong zinoviev zukerman zw

In this way every developer can check that his/her vote is correct and
the list of the voted developers makes clean that there were no
`phantome' votes.

Anton Zinoviev, zinoviev@debian.org