Re: Our counting procedure

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

> >> Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> writes:
>
>  > > IOW, if I only mark "--1--", then my vote is as good as nothing, since I

This vote is defined to declare that item 3 dominates all other items.
Items not marked are declared by the voter as "unacceptable". They have no
priority with this voter amongst themselves.

All others are equally "unacceptable".

>  > > made no preference of one over the other. So not specifying a rank in
>  > > the order pretty much alleviates that choice in the tally for that
>  > > particular vote.
>  >
>  > Debatable. Unmarked votes can also be counted as "equally last", so
>  > that "--1--" count is the same as "22122".

This is close to the same, but would probably be rejected for duplicate
entries.

<saving space>

>  > The constitution is unclear on this (as well as many other things)
>
>  It's not only unclear, it doesn't mention it at all.  As a matter of
>  fact, the only place that mentions this is:

This seems very clear to me:

>     In the brackets next to your preferred choice, place a 1. Place a 2
>     in the brackets next to your next choice. Continue till you reach
>     your last choice.

>     You may leave choices you consider unacceptable blank.

This means that all blank choices are unacceptable to the voter. They have
no priority at all, and the voter declares no inter-relationships between
the various unacceptable items.

Thus: --1-- declares item 3 dominates all items for this vote.

>     Start with 1, don't skip any numbers, don't repeat. To vote
>     "no, no matter what" do not leave an option black but rank "None Of
>     The Above" higher than the unacceptable choices.

And thus the vote: ----1 would declare that you wished for none of the
candidates to become leader. (an intersting option ;-)

>  IMO the last two sentences are open for interpretation.  Note it
>  *defines* 'unacceptable choices' and then explains how to 'discard'
>  them.

So what exactly is "open for interpretation"?

>  Anyway, we don't want to pull an USA here...

I don't either. When I look at the votes it is clear to me just who won.

>  Congrats Ben.  I wish the Project a good year under your leadership!

<\begin{aol}>
metometometo ;-)
<\end{aol}>

Best of Luck to Ben and the Project in the coming year,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-