Re: An ammendment (Re: Formal CFV: General Resolution to Abolish Non-Free)

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

> > > To reaffirm the principles you are working to erode.
> >
> > Your principles are the support and spreading of non-free software?
>
> Not at all. I refer to the principles stated in the Debian
> Social Contract:
>
>     5. Programs That Don't Meet Our Free-Software Standards
>        We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of programs
>        that don't conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines.

My proposal does not violate that.

>     4. Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software
>        We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free-software
>        community. We will place their interests first in our priorities.
>        We will support the needs of our users for operation in many
>        different kinds of computing environment.

Nor does it violate that.

> > Just what is wrong with eroding them?
>
> Because they are IMHO good, valuable principles. Obviously you have
> no problem with throwing out the social contract on a whim.

My proposal does not throw out the social contract.  It strengthens
it.  I fail to see how you can call supporting and spreading non-free
software "good, valuable principles."  There is no logical or ethical
basis for such a statement.