Re: Parliamentary Questions...

Just a quick note.. as many people know, my wife just had a baby by
C-Section so I'm a little preoccupied until life returns to a more normal
routine.  I will be back at work on Monday and I will assess the status of
Mr. Goerzen's proposal and Mr. Townes amendment.  My assumption from
browsing the list is that both issues have been sponsored appropriately and
are in the middle of their two week discussion period.  Also, I do not see
any of the discussion periods ending before I get to work.

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 12:24:17AM -0400, Buddha Buck wrote:
> 1.  John Goetzen recently made a proposed General Resolution, to which
> Anthony Townes suggested an amendment.  Both the original proposal and
> the amendment have had various developers post seconds to them.  The
> web site http://www.debian.org/vote does not list the proposal or
> amendment yet.  What is the current parliamentary status of the
> proposal by John Goetzen and the amendment by Anthony Townes?
See above.

> 2.  The proposal by John Goetzen calls for a modification of the Debian
> Social Contract.  Some have suggested that such a modification is
> allowed by Clause 4.1.5 of the Debian Constitution ("Issue nontechnical
> policy documents and statements"), while others claim that that
> particular clause does not apply to amending the Social Contract -- and
> that there is no Constitutionally valid method of amending the Social
> Contract.  It has also been suggested that amending the DSC is
> equivilant to amending the Debian Constitution, and thus falls under
> 4.1.2, and requires a 3:1 supermajority.  As far as I have seen, most
> are agreed that the Project Secretary's opinion should decide.
>
> What Constitutional authority, if any, is there for amending the Social
> Contract?  What level of majority or supermajority is needed to enact an
> amendment to the Debian Social Contract?

Oh boy, this will be fun.  I will have to look at the issues closely and
will not venture an official answer at this time.

> 3.  If the original proposal requires a supermajority and the amendment
> (which does not amend the DSC) requires only a majority, how will the
> vote counting and determination of the results of the ballots be done?
Per section A of the constitution :)  The answer to this will, obviously,
have to wait for a determination of point 2.

> I hope to receive a reply to these questions soon.
Please wait a bit longer, I will be back into circulation Monday.