Re: An ammendment (Re: Formal CFV: General Resolution to Abolish Non-Free)

On Jun 11, Anthony Towns wrote:
> As I understand it, at this point two votes need to take place: one to
> determine what form the resolution should take so that developers may
> choose between John's original resolution, or the one I posted (or any
> others that are proposed and seconded), and a second vote as to whether
> the chosen resolution will be accepted. The constitution provides for
> these two votes to be handled by the one ballot, so we may end up with
> votes something like:
>
> 	[1] [Y] ABOLISH non-free
> 	[3] [N] Create ADD-ONS
> 	[4] [N] STATUS-QUO
> 	[2] [ ] FURTHER dicussion
>
> (that is, a preference for the resolution to be ABOLISH, FURTHER, ADD-ONS,
> STATUS-QUO, and only willing to back the resolution if it takes the form
> of ABOLISH)

The second column is implied by the first.  I don't think both votes
are necessary; anyone voting 1342 is clearly indicating that they
prefer more discussion to either add-ons or status-quo.

We certainly didn't have multiple columns on the logo vote, yet it was
binding despite the alternate proposals, including Joseph Carter's
amendment.

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence         |        Get Debian GNU/Linux CDROMs        |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>    |       http://www.lordsutch.com/cds/       |
|     Open Directory Editor     |    Are you tired of politics as usual?    |
|       http://dmoz.org/        |             http://www.lp.org/            |