Re: Proposal -- Change constitution to adopt Smith/Condorcet vote tallying

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 06:44:48PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> Proposal -- patch the constitution as follows:
> !   A.6. Smith/Condorcet Vote Counting
>
> !     2. A square "initial totals table" is constructed, recording the
> !        ballot totals: the number in the table at row j, column k indicates
> !        the number of ballots which prefer ballot option j to ballot
> !        option k.

...etc.

So, uh, what happened to:

> Personally, I worry about any kind of wholesale change in the language
> of the constitution.  Yeah, if you change major chunks of the document
> then current ambiguities would go away.  But how do we know whether we're
> introducing new ones?

?

What you describe looks something like one of the Minmax variants or
the Tideman method described at:
	http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/harrow/124/methods.html

It doesn't use the Smith criterion directly. It's not particularly obvious
that it even satisfies the Smith criterion, afaict.

Cheers,
aj

     ``Thanks to all avid pokers out there''
                       -- linux.conf.au, 17-20 January 2001