Problems with Appendix A

Giving a quick read-through of Appendix A, I see several problems:

1) Every resolution that has amendments is supposed to have two votes: A.3.1) A vote to decide which amendments to apply, including "Further Discussion"; and A.3.2) A vote to accept or reject (or keep discussing) the final form of the resolution.

This in my mind defeats the strength of the Condorcet voting method, which should be able to find the best compromise out of many options. Since the process of actually voting seems to be the largest source of grief recently, requiring multiple formal votes on an issue should only increase the grief.

I'd even be tempted to replace the discussion of "amendments" entirely with "alternate proposals". The distinction being that an amendment is a change to the original proposal, while an alternate proposal is a separate proposal covering the same issue. This would change A.1 somewhat, as well.

2) In several places, a distinction between the proposer and the sponsors leads to wordy work-arounds to indicate that both the proposer and sponsors have similar powers and responsibilities (A.1.2 and A.1.3 together require that the proposer and sponsors all agree to accept a formal amendment; A.4 is just plain messy along those lines). Sponsors do not appear to have any powers and responsibilities that the proposer lacks. If the proposer could be considered a sponsor, then this verbiage could be simplified.

3) The situation with the Goerzen/Towns proposals demonstrated the problem with the Expiry section (A.5). This needs to be fixed.

4) What is the intent of A.6.3 ("All options which are Dominated by at least one other option are discarded, and references to them in ballot papers will be ignored.") This would seem to imply that if there is no unambiguous winner (if the Smith Set is not singleton), then all the options will be discarded. Obviously, that's not right.

5) A.6.8 is using "quorum" to have a strange meaning. A quorum normally describes the minimum total number of voters, not the minimum margin of victory.

6) Single Transferrable Vote among the Smith Set is one way to decide the winner, but it isn't necessarily the best.

Raul Miller suggested a possible rewording of A.6 that clarifies the current procedure, but leaves some of it's warts in place. Why not take this opportunity to fix some of the problems while we are at it?