Re: Condorcet Voting and Supermajorities (Re: [CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT] Disambiguation of 4.1.5)

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 07:42:44PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Presumably the "further discussion" option that's on all ballots would
> work for this?

The cut-line would be the constitution's quorum.  Essentially, the
quorum is the number of automatic votes for the default option.
[And, yeah, that option is "further discussion" for most debian
ballots.]

> > In really rare cases this might lead to paradoxical situations where the
> > winning option doesn't have the required approval rating, but a lesser
> > option does.
>
> Some possibilities:
>
> 	a) A clear condorcet winner, that doesn't have enough of a
> 	   supermajority to succeed.

Supermajority basically means that yes votes have fractional
significance.  You don't have a clear winner if you don't have
enough votes -- unless you pretend that the yes votes have some
different significance?

> 	b) A tie for first place (ie, the schwartz set has two or more
> 	   options in it), where "further discussion" is one of the
> 	   equal winners, and it pairwise beats whatever is chosen as
> 	   the real winner.

If this is a true tie, we need a tie-breaking vote (casting vote).  That
would mean it's up to the leader for the stuff we're talking about here.

> 	c) A tie for first place where all the winners beat further
> 	   discussion, but the winner selected by whichever tie breaker's
> 	   used requires a supermajority that it doesn't have, and one
> 	   of the other winners has all the majority it needs (because
> 	   it only requires a smaller one, say)

That wouldn't have been a tie.

--
Raul