Re: [Notice] Social Contract Change Vote

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 01:26:46PM -0400, Buddha Buck wrote:
> The main proposal under discussion is by John Goerzen, and can be found here:
> [LINK].  In summary, this proposal would AMEND the Debian Social Contract
> to eliminate the commitment to support for non-free on Debian's FTP servers.
>
> An amendment to that proposal was made by Anthony Towns, and can be found
> here: [LINK] In summary, this proposal would replace John Goerzen's
> proposal with a GENERAL RESOLUTION reaffirming Debian's commitment to Free
> Software over non-free.

I don't think the Secretary should summarize proposals this way -- it's
almost impossible to do without bias.  Presumably the proponents of
the proposals spent a lot of time crafting them to say exactly what
they should say, and that's what the voters should be reading.

I suggest that the proposals be attached to the ballot, for the benefit
of people who have difficulty accessing HTTP while reading mail.
For example the machine with my PGP key is not connected to the net
except by floppy :)

Richard Braakman