Re: Summary of voting irregularities

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@progenylinux.com> writes:

> > explicitly provide for -any- method to modify the Social Contract.  It
>
> It explicitly provides that: §4.1(5)

John: Again, I'm on your side here on the actual substantive issue.
But surely you can't be blind to the fact that the actual wording of
4.1(5) is "issue" and not "modify".  You might *interpret* that issue
includes modify, but this is an issue about which people can
legitimately disagree, and which the Secretary is *obligated* to
render an authoritative interpretation.

> > 1. The Social Contract cannot be modified under the Debian Constitution.
>
> This is contradictory with §4.1(5).

Again, 4.1(5) does not say anything about modification, but only issuance.

> I agree that the Secretary's failure should not kill the proposal but
> I am unsure of whether the Constituion actually allows him to do so.

Given that the Chairman of the Technical Committee may step in, it
isn't actually possible for one person to kill the proposal.  And,
even if it were, the proposal could simply be reintroduced again.