Re: Non-Constitutional Voting Procedure

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> I don't think so..  It seems like the only real solution is to set this
> issue aside and fix the constitution first.  This too would be precedent
> setting, but IMO it would be a better precedent than effectively modifying
> the constitution in practice but not on paper.  I'd happily vote in favor
> of a constitutional amendment fixing the language so we can quite clearly
> issue AND revise non-technical documents without selective interpretation
> as well as mandating that the social contract and DFSG require a lot more
> than a simple majority to change.

     On 19 July, Manoj proposed a constitutional amendment requiring
a super-majority vote to change the SC or DFSG.  This proposal is at:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project-0007/msg00061.html

     On the same date Branden proposed an amendment to Manoj's
proposal that made it clear that a super-majority vote is not required
to change the SC or DFSG.  This proposal is at:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project-0007/msg00052.html

     Both proposals received seconds, but I did not count the number
of seconds received.

     A vote on these two proposals before the vote on removing
non-free would go a long way towards clearing the air.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard      <hilliard@debian.org>