Re: Proposed change to Debian constitution

Edward, I can understand your frustration at these various places, but it
seems that asking for a 3:1 majority is similar to "we don't ever want this
to happen, but lets look like we should allow it."

Perhaps if the ratio were to be lower, 2:1, or replaced with "consensus"
which appears in other places in the debian documents, I would have more
reason to accept this. As it is, getting a 3:1 majority will likely never
happen over the entire developer's community (500+ people, remember..)

Also, the definition of "Active" is a bit strong to my tastes. By that
definition, anyone that goes camping for a weekend is "not active". Anyone
that ignores their computer to play with their kids for a day is "not
active".

Of course, those are just nitpicky details. I think the general idea is
good; barring a good explanation of why it is a bad idea, I can't see why
a modified version of this (to lower the ratio, and amend the definition of
"active" so that people aren't tied to their computers seven days a week..)
shouldn't be added to the constitution.

IANADD(yet).

:)

On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 03:09:31PM +0000, Edward Brocklesby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The attached document details a modification written by Zephaniah E. Hull
> and I, which I am proposing as an amendment to the Debian Constitution.
> This hopefully solves one or two problems we have identified in Debian,
> namely closed teams (new-maintainer, ftp maint etc.), stagnation of these
> teams, and the current issue of new maintainer being closed.
>
> Please offer sensible, well considered, useful comments.  Replies from
> rude, abrasive people (you know who you are) will be ignored.
>
> Diolch, Edward.

> [...]
>
>     3. The Project Leader's Delegate(s) may decide not to admit any new
>        Developers (close the New Maintainer process), until the next
>        release of debian, provided Developers are in favour of this
>        by a 3:1 majority.  New Maintainer may be reopened either when the
>        Developers agree to do so by a 3:1 majority, or the next version
>        of Debian has been released. New maintainer may be closed for longer
>        than this time only if a General Resolution is passed.
>
> [...]
>
>   8.4 Composition
>
>    1. Any critical package or system team (e.g, the New Maintainer team,
>       the FTP Admin team, any Essential package's maintainers) must have
>       a reasonable number of active members at all times.
>    2. If, for any reason, it is not possible for a reasonable number of
>       members of any team to be active, the Project Leader, one of
>       the Leader's Delegates, or a member of the team must appoint
>       enough members to ensure there are at least two active.
>    3. All mailing lists for a particular team must be open, unless
>       the Developers agree that it may be closed, by a vote with a
>       majority of at least 3:1, or the Project Leader gives permission
>       for the list to be closed, and no Developers object to this.
>    4. An "Active" member shall mean a member who, in any given day, would
>       be able to take suitable action on any situation relating to that
>       particular team.
>    5. "Reasonable number" shall mean either the amount of people required
>       to handle all issues relating to that team, or two, whichever is
>       greater.
>    6. An "open" mailing list shall mean a mailing list to which anyone
>       can subscribe to and read.  The list may restrict who is allowed
>       to post to it (a "moderated" list). The list must be archived
>       in a publically accessible place, for a period of at least two
>       years.

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!