Splitting in APT and the web site

We were discussing the idea of changing Debian's distribution and web
arrangements so that people could easily recommend and distribute just
the Official Debian system without the non-free packages.

I think we agreed that separating FTP servers isn't needed provided
APT is set up properly (and provided it works reliably enough that in
practice people do not need to bypass it).  But I don't think it was
resolved what to do with APT, its configuration file, and the web
server.  Or at least I didn't see a resolution.

Could we make progress on these issues?