Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Moving the non-free (and contrib) part out of the main archive is a
> logical conclusion to our social contract.  I don't understand why
> developers who agree to our social contract now disagree with this
> conclusion.

Well, nobody has been able to show it conclusively either way. It comes
down to your personal feeling on what the social contract means and what
effect the proposal will have. Remember that we have pledged to support
our users, non-free software AND support free software (clause #4, clause
#5 and clause #1), giving the users precidence. If you think that this
change will not effect our users negatively then it is indeed allowed by
our social contract If you think splitting the archive will annoy and
irritate our users then it is definately counter to the social contract.

Unlike some of our other actions that have irritated users (like the
main/contrib/non-free) this is not something that is *required* by the
social contract. Clause #1 is very clear and we were technically in
violation.

> PS: Are you sure that -vote is the proper place to discuss this and
>     not -devel?

Apparently so..

Jason