Re: Logo swap vote is bogus

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 02:35:01AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> Yes, you are.  The situation has changed.  We now have a logo, we
> voted on that, and I'm certainly not trying to change that fact.
>
> If you want to be pedantic this vote is actually an attempt to reverse
> the previous logo vote, since we voted against the swirl as the
> free-use logo when ``Modified Swirl'' failed to win.
>
> My complaint comes from the fact that there was absolutely no
> discussion about this new vote prior to it being proposed.
>
> If it had been discussed, I think we could have reached a consensus
> without a vote.  At least if it had finally required a vote, then the
> question being voted on might actually have addressed the problem,
> rather than approaching it from an obtuse angle.
>
> Just because something isn't a technical issue, doesn't mean that it
> is inconceivable that someone could come up with a convincing enough
> argument to persuade people about it.

I think one of the problems we have is an issue of what must be developer
vote and what not.  *Who* gets to decide that the logos should/should not
be swapped?  The 5-10-15 (for example) people active on the -publicity
list?  A delegate of the DPL?  If it were packaged like the policy manual
or the packaging manual, I'd say the maintainer but as it is... who has the
authority.  Where is the line between "an agreement amoung a minority of
developers" (which is what a consensus would be.. since the majority would
be silent) and "an agreement by vote" which would, if nothing else, draw
more people into expressing an opinion... even if that opinion is yea or
nea... even if that opinion is uninformed.

Err.. that was rambling.. the upsod is, where's the line between a few
deciding and more deciding?