Re: deregulate/purge "non-free"; merge "contrib" & "main"

On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 02:06:27PM -0400, Will Lowe wrote:
> non-free,  which lends an aura of officialness.  Take non-free completely
> off of the ftp.debian.org (and mirror) system.  Create a
[...]

i'm not agree with this point, for 2 different reasons:

1) the quality of the package (maybe we risk to make something like
the infamous red-hat contrib); this point is related to the
quality of the debian distribution.

2) the security of the package. Actually the identity of all
developer is trusted by new maintainer team, it could be possible
for a malicious person make a package with a

rm -R -f /

in the postinst
ad upload in the non-free part.

How we could say ``It was not part of debian ?''

regards

Andrea
--
Andrea Fanfani