Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

Ben Armstrong wrote:

> > I thinks that's even not clear enough, because the "debian.org" part makes
> > it somehow official again.
> > Personally, I would prefer "unofficial.debian.org".
>
> I like this idea.
>
> > Even those who know nothing about the Debian Social Contract should know
> > what that means.
>
> unofficial.debian.org depoliticizes the split somewhat.  I feel this is a
> "good thing" though not everyone would agree, I am sure.  Furthermore it
> solves the sticky problem of lumping contrib in with non-free on this
> site.  Both are unofficial, i.e. not part of "main".  But both are not
> non-free.
>
> I only have one problem with "unofficial".  People are used to unofficial
> (beta) releases of software being the "good stuff" ... the latest-and-
> greatest-with-all-the-bells-and-whistles.  I don't think this is the
> message we want to send.  So I'm kind of on the fence as to whether
> "nonfree" or "unofficial" would be better because of this.

Call it maybe "extra" ... I rose by any other name smells as sweet?

main.debian.org and extra.debian.org ???
or maybe other.debian.org???

'main' is 100% free stuff

'extra' or 'other' is mostly but not completely non-free!

That way, yes you don't have the 'contrib'ers feeling like second class
debianites even though their stuff IS FREE, and just depends on other non-free
stuff to work.

Wham Bam... hmmmmm

--Brock

---------------------  PGP key ID: FED76A3D <brock@cyberdude.com> 4 / 5 / 1999

   __ _    Debian GNU       R. Brock Lynn             (bytopian on irc #debian)
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __   http://www.debian.org/     irc.openprojects.net
 / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /                    Free Software!
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <    Remember that's "Free" as in Freedom!,
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\   Not Free as in price.      Debian's 'Da Bomb!