Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

*Wichert Akkerman - Debian project leader wrote:

> The Debian distribution itself consists only of the main-tree. Contrib
> and non-free are there mostly as a (popular) service to our users. But
> the distinction isn't as visible as it used to be; advances in searching
> in the distribution and tools like apt make it very hard to see when
> something is in main and when not. Just using seperate trees in the
> archive isn't as effective a method making the distinction anymore as it
	Moving non-free to another server  won't make any difference with
apt.  It will still get the non-free packages transparantly.
> used to be.

  Will it create problems for mirrors?   I suppose people mirroring debian
will put non-free back in the same tree as main, if they choose to continue
mirroring non-free.

	I like things they way they are.  You can easily have a 100% free
installation if you choose. Assuring no dependencies in main on non-free
software is currently working well.    This is the most important thing to
me; that the developers are able to easily work on a 100% free distribution.
    You can also easily add non-free software if you choose.

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org